Years ago I remember going to the travel agent to plan my vacation, never even considering an online travel agent. But nowadays it’s the other way around, and most people don’t even give a thought to planning a trip without a computer. But the fact is you can often get a better discount by using an online travel site. Here are 5 travel tips to keep in mind.
1. Find great travel reviews online. You can check what people have to say about these sites and be sure you are not getting a shady deal or traveling at the wrong time. People will also chime in and let you know where the best discounts and freebies are. You can find out what the locals are saying too.
2. Locate fabulous deals. By far the best reason to do your travel deal shopping online is to get all the best deals. By scouring the travel websites online you can put your vacation together as you please by comparing different prices. For example, maybe you find a super vacation package one-way to your destination with one airline, and then you find a great deal on the way back with a separate air carrier. Go for it! Mix and match. You’ll save a ton of money with this method.
3. Different times equal different prices. Last time I planned a vacation I checked airline prices multiple times a day on every day of the week. It was a lot of fun actually because the prices changed all the time. It was almost like playing a game, click on the price now and see what it is! Maybe cheaper, maybe not. But one thing to keep in mind is if you happen to stumble upon a fantastic travel deal (and you will at some point), snap it up because you may never see it again. That’s what happened to me a few times. I debated and didn’t grab the excellent deal and it was gone, never to be seen again.
4. Sign up for email alerts. Go to all the major travel sites and get on an email list for travel discounts to be emailed to you. You should probably create a special account just for this so that you won’t have them all going into your main account. Sure, you are going to get lots of stuff you can’t use but every now and then you will receive that gem of a deal. But check your mail daily and go immediately to check out anything that looks promising.
5. Buy travel insurance sometimes but not always. So you’ve found your fantastic and amazing vacation deal and now you are wondering, should you spring for insurance as well? Yes you should if you are going on a cruise or traveling with a tour group or paying megabucks in advance for your trip. These policies are an added expense, sure, but the peace of mind is worth it.